“Aren’t pretty pictures enough for a follow-worthy Instagram profile?” you might be wondering…
While the people already following you may not come back to your profile view often, unless you’re directing them there, we all know how important first impressions are, and your profile info is the first thing people will see when they are making that split-second decision on whether or not to follow you.
I’m located in Ontario Canada, where we are just coming out of lockdown today, so I’ve been doing some housekeeping on my social profiles to make sure everything is up to date. If it’s been a while since you looked at your own, take a peek and see if there any improvements that can be made.
Here are 3 tips to create a follow-worthy Instagram Profile when set up or update your Instagram bio:
1) Your photo. Sure you could have your logo here, but when you’re visiting other people’s profiles, isn’t it nice to see a friendly face? It just feels more personable and relatable. If you’ve ever done a Top 9 year-end roundup, you’ve likely noticed that any images you’ve posted of yourself rank high. People want to see you!
2) Your “Name”. Did you know the Name field is searchable?
If your name is short or your @ handle already includes your name, as mine does with @taragrahamphoto, use the Name field to include some keywords and terms your audience might be looking for, and you’ll be more likely to show up in their search results! Mine includes the word “Photographer” and my location.
3) Who are you? What can you do for me? Let people know what you do! You might think it’s obvious, but if someone is stumbling across your account for the first time, what would you want them to know? Do you have a specialty or something that makes you stand out? Put it in your bio! Using emojis can add some visual appeal and personality to your bio as well.
- Do you have any tips for these fields, or things that have worked well for you?
- Have you seen someone do something really unique with their bio?
- What makes you want to follow someone else?
- Did you make any changes after reading this?
··Send me a message·· and let me know!
Over the next couple of weeks we will look at the Website field in the IG bio and how to maximize it, plus the benefits of switching to a Business profile – and some tips for those already using it!
Don’t want to miss it? Add your email ··HERE·· and you’ll also get a free PDf of my favourite programs and tools.
Catch my other posts for photographers ··HERE··
(lots more coming soon!)